If you have been wondering about just what kind of special places or things of interest exist in the Dominican Republic, this article is just for you!.
Everyone knows this gorgeous country has incredible beaches but fewer people know about its verdant rain forests, soaring mountains, towering waterfalls, deserts, interesting colonial history, and old towns full of cobbled streets and beautiful architecture.
So today I’m excited to present to you 10 fun facts about the Dominican Republic.
- Defy Gravity in the Barahona: In the southwestern part of the Dominican Republic, there is a town called Polo. There you can go challenge gravity at the Magnetic Pole (El Polo Magnético). If you stop your car in neutral gear downhill, your car will roll up! As cool as it sounds, this is what’s called a gravity hill. This is caused by an optical illusion that has to do with the shape of the road and the landscape. Still, pretty cool to experience in person!…Preety sick right??
- Unique,precious stones: The Dominican Republic has two unique endemic stones that can’t be found anywhere else in the world: Dominican Amber and Larimar. The first one was created millions of years ago due to the warm climate in the DR and the extinct prehistoric leguminous tree, Hymenaea Protera. It is considered the finest amber available worldwide because of the high concentration of fossils included and it’s clear composition. The second one, Larimar, it’s a rare blue variety of the silicate mineral pectolite, with a color that changes from light blue, to green-blue to deep blue…..Wow…Shiny
- The waterfalls: If you’ve never heard of the 27 Waterfalls of Damajagua you’ve been missing out! This is a great adventure spot for families with kids over the age of 12 who enjoy nature, rivers, and jumping down waterfalls. You hike all the way up and then come down through a series of caves and water slides for a super fun ride making this a great and relaxing place to calm down or even go on a vacation.
- The highest peak in the Caribbean, Pico Duarte: As if it wasn’t cool enough that the Dominican Republic has the lowest elevation in the Caribbean, it is also home of the highest elevation in the region. With 3,087 meters altitude, Pico Duarte welcomes over 3,000 climbers who make the ascend to experience its incredible beauty.
- Weather: Do you also know that their weather is described as endless summer that over 300 days of endless sunshine making it a good location for even honeymoon getaways and all sorts . However, several thunderstorms are experienced between June and October
- They eat patriotic food: Another fun fact you might not know is that La Bandera, meaning “the flag,” is a traditional meal of stewed meat, red beans, and rice. It’s served regularly in Dominican households.
- It’s named after a Saint: Long before their independence, the country was called Santo Domingo, after Saint Dominic. The people were called Dominicans. After they won independence, the people called their country La República Dominicana (the Dominican Republic). Did you know Saint Dominic is the patron saint of astronomers?…
- Kissing: If you are feeling amorous be careful, It’s illegal to kiss in public!!.
- Economy: The Dominican Republic has the largest economy in the Caribbean.
Last but not the least and also the most fun fact about the Dominican is that…
- Car horns have their own language in the Dominican: One of the most fun facts about the Dominican Republic that I came across is that Beep language is actually a thing!! Dominicans use their car horn constantly. In fact, I am sure they use them more than brakes.
One short beep means I’m here or get a move on! Two short beeps mean I’m coming pastTwo long beeps mean for god sake get out of my way! The most important thing if you are a tourist is not to get upset and remember it is just a way of life.
I’m sure now you’re going to put The Dominican on your top list now when going on a Vacation…
Let us know what you think in the comments below or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram!